People who love to take part in hiking and camping should get a good-quality watch for themselves. The top hiking watches are long-lasting and have advanced features that make the hiker’s life much easier. However, choosing the best watch can be pretty daunting, with so many options in the market.
The guide aims to provide some names of the best camping and hiking watches. If you are looking for a hiking and camping watch, keep reading this article until the end. Also, there is a short tip section to help people make the best buying decision.
Best watch for camping and hiking
All of these watches mentioned below are not just perfect for hiking but are built with superior quality materials for all kinds of adventures as well.
1. Garmin Fenix 6X Sapphire Multisport GPS Watch
- Fit for performance with rugged, sophisticated design that features a big 1.4 inches sunlight-readable display (36% larger than previous fēnix models) with...
- Enhanced estimated wrist heart rate and Pulse Ox to support advanced sleep monitoring and altitude acclimation at high elevations (this is not a medical device...
- Advanced training features include PacePro for grade-adjusted pace guidance throughout your activity plus environmentally adjusted VO2 max and training status...
- Navigate the outdoors with preloaded TOPO maps, ski maps for over 2,000 worldwide ski resorts, multiple global navigation satellite system (GPS, GLONASS and...
This model from Garmin is one of the best for hiking. They will enhance your hiking experience with the option of listening to music, mapping, etc. The product comes with a 1.4” display screen manufactured with a high-quality, scratch-resistant sapphire lens.
The Fenix 6X Sapphire Multisport GPS watch has satellite navigation and tracking features. It also comes with a 3-axis compass, barometric altimeter, and gyroscope. Additional features include a heart rate tracker and a pulse ox that can track blood oxygen saturation levels.
The watch will last up to 15 hours in GPS and music mode when it comes to battery life. Using it in the smartwatch mode will last up to 21 days and 46 days in expedition GPS activity mode. If you want the watch to stay charged for a longer time, use it in battery saver mode. It will last for 80 days.
- Color- Dark Gray with Black Band
- Batteries Included- Yes
- Display Size- 1.4 Inches
- Item Dimensions- 2.01 x 2.01 x 0.59 inches
- Connectivity Technology- Bluetooth Smart, ANT+, Wi-Fi
- Battery Life- 15 Hours
- Long battery life
- The watch has advanced technologies like Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
- It has an easy interface
- It is expensive
2. Garmin Instinct Solar GPS Watch
- Vastly extended battery life through solar charging.Supported Application:GPS. Connectivity technology:GPS. Wireless comm standard:Bluetooth
- Rugged GPS Watch is water-rated to 100 meters and constructed to U.S. military standard 810 for thermal, shock and water resistance
- Built-in 3-axis compass and barometric altimeter plus multiple global navigation satellite systems (GPS, Glonass and Galileo) track in more challenging...
- Track your activities for running, biking, swimming, strength and more
If your primary requirement from the watch is durability, this product by Garmin is for you. It is one of the top hiking watches with GPS available in the market today.
You can keep a check on your estimated heart rate, stress levels, and various other activities. You get a 3-axis compass, barometric altimeter, and TracBack feature in this watch. The TrackBack will help you to track the route back to the destination where you started. You can also link up your watch with your smartphone and stay connected to the world. Receive notifications and uploads from time to time with this item.
If we talk about the battery life, the watch stays charged up to 16 hours in GPS mode. Keeping it in the battery saver mode, it will stay up for 40 hours. The Garmin Instinct comes with a 1.2” display screen and can be a part of your adventure.
- Color- Solar
- Connectivity Technology- GPS
- Compatible Devices- Smartphone
- Human Interface Input- Buttons
- Screen Size- 1.27 Inches
- It has a long battery life
- It is made of high-quality material
- It is a long-lasting product
- It lacks features like a dedicated fitness watch
3. Casio Pro Trek PRW2500 Multifunction Watch
- 200M Water Resistance
- Chronograph Display
- Tough Solar Power
- Multi-Band 6 Atomic Timekeeping
There are innumerable reasons why the Casio Pro Trek PRW2500 is one of the best in the market now. The first reason is the fact that it is run by the sun. The battery life can continue till five months without the necessity to charge it again and again. Moreover, the watch doesn’t demand a lot of light to recharge. Secondly, you can be confident that your watch will always show the right time. This time automatically captures the time signals from different countries around the world. The watch comes with a 1.5” display and a thermometer, digital compass, altimeter, and barometer. The performance by Casio Pro Trek PRW2500 is quite impressive.
- Manufacturer- Casio
- Color- Black
- Resistance- 200M Water Resistance
- Display- 1.5” Chronograph Display and Duplex LC Display
- Battery life is durable
- The watch is easy to use
- It captures time automatically
- It gives high performance
- It is reasonable in price
- The battery takes a lot of time to charge
4. Suunto 9 Baro GPS Watch
- Suunto 9 Baro: This durable multisport GPS watch is designed for athletes who demand the best; Featuring over 80 sports modes, a barometer for accurate altitude...
- Built To Last: Made for training, racing and extreme adventures, this GPS watch delivers up to 120 hours of continuous exercise tracking; Water resistant to 100...
- Get Connected: Connect to your favorite sports apps and services from the Suunto app to get more from your watch; Share with your sports communities and access...
- Adventure Starts Here: Combining Scandinavian design with ultra durable materials, our watches track your sports, daily activity, and sleep to help you keep...
The Suunto 9 Baro comes with more than 80 activities in sport mode. It can be geared for everything like cycling, racing, and multisports. The battery life of the watch is quite long lasting and it can accompany you on all your adventures. One of the best aspects of this watch is that it warns you against bad weather conditions. In this way, you can decide if you want to go out or not. There are several modes to choose from. If you go for the performance mode, you get GPS accuracy and the battery lasts for 25 hours. Talking about the endurance mode, you will receive 40 hours of battery life and 120 hours in ultra mode.
Also, whenever the battery runs low and you are wearing the watch, it will signal you to change the mode to maintain a charge. These are some of the reasons why you should consider buying the Suunto 9 Baro is an ideal choice.
- Color- Black
- Are Batteries Included- Yes
- Screen Size- 5 Centimeters
- Human Interface Input- Touchscreen
- Connectivity Technology- Bluetooth Smart
- Battery Life- 120 Hours
- It functions very well as a fitness watch.
- It comes with excellent battery life
- It is easy and convenient to use
- Expensive considering the features it offers
5. Casio Pathfinder PAG240 Multifunction Watch
- 100 M Water Resistance
- Casio Pro-Trek Tough Solar Power with battery indicator, and power-saving function. Approximate battery life: 6 months on rechargeable battery (operation period...
- Titanium Band
- Triple Sensor - Digital Compass, Altimeter, Barometer & Thermometer
If you are someone who travels often, this watch is for you. It shows the time in 48 cities and 39 time zones. This quality makes the Casio Pathfinder most suitable for travelers. The watch is powered by solar energy. Its battery can go up to six months, without any recharge. Thus, you can make spontaneous plans to travel without needing to worry about your watch. It will be there to join you in your whole journey. The display size of the watch is 1.5” and comes with sensors that can detect temperature, direction, and altitude. Although, there is one limitation in this watch that it only functions in temperatures more than 14°F. Thus, if you love to go hiking in cold places, then this watch might not do the job.
- Color- Gray
- Package Weight- 0.38 Kilograms
- Item Dimensions LxWxH- 4.7 x 4.4 x 3.8 inches
- Display Size- 1.5”
- Display type- Digital
- It has a long lasting battery life
- The price is reasonable
- It is easy to use
- It cannot function in places with low temperature
6. Garmin Tactix Charlie GPS Watch
- 1.2” high-resolution, sunlight-readable display with domed sapphire lens; switch between daytime use and night vision goggle compatibility
- Includes preloaded TOPO mapping plus routable map navigation
- Rugged design includes a black diamond-like carbon (DLC) coated titanium bezel, black titanium rear cover and stainless steel buttons — plus built-in Elevate...
- Tactical-specific features include Jumpmaster, waypoint projection, dual-position GPS formatting and preloaded tactical activity
The Garmin Tactix Charlie is a premium level smartwatch that comes with advanced features such as outdoor navigation. Training with specialized tactical functions is also possible with this watch. Jumpmaster, waypoint projection, dual-position GPS formatting, and preloaded tactical activity are some of the particular features that are included in this watch.
There are various other features such as receiving notifications, automatic uploads to Garmin Connect etc. The watch comes with a 1.2” high-resolution display, and the best part is its battery. Despite having such advanced features, the battery life of this watch can go up to 20 hours in GPS mode. It can continue to stay alive up to 35 hours when kept in the battery saver mode, and 12 days when smartwatch mode is applied. Due to such impressive features, this watch stands tall as one of the best in the market.
- Color- Sapphire
- Batteries Included- Yes
- Screen Size- 1.2 Inches
- Human Interface Input- Buttons
- Display Type- Transflective,1.2” memory-in-pixel (MIP)
- Item Dimensions- LxWxH2 x 0.7 x 2 inches
- The watch has many smart features
- Its compass and navigation are great for hikes.
- The battery life continues for many days.
- The sapphire glass is scratch resistant.
- The watch is heavy and takes time to get used to.
7. Timex Men’s Expedition Grid Shock Watch
- Adjustable black 16mm resin strap fits up to 8 inch wrist circumference
- 100 hour chronograph; 24 hour countdown timer; 3 vibrating and audible daily, weekday or weekend alarms; Shock resistant to I.S.O. standards
- 24 hour military time mode; 3 time zones; Occasion reminders; Hydration timer; month, day and date calendar
- Black 50mm resin case with acrylic lens; Gray digital display; Indiglo light up watch dial. Strap and lug width is 16 mm
Whether you want to hike around the rough terrains or climb the rocks, make sure to bring the Timex Men’s Expedition Grid Shock watch with you. The display of this watch is built with scratch-resistant glass. Moreover, the best part is the battery which can continue for 10 years. Other features like shock-resistant. capacity, makes it a unique product in the market.
If you want to track your workout regime, this watch will do the job. It also gives you reminders on events, alarms, and a hydration mode that will keep reminding you to stay hydrated during a workout. The Timex Expedition Grid Shock was primarily built to give you the full freedom to enjoy your hike.
- Band Color- Black
- Dial colour- Gray
- Special features- alarm, Chronograph, Timer, Water Resistant, Shock resistant
- Item weight- 2.72 Ounces
- Water-resistant depth- 100 Meters
- It is shock-resistant.
- It is water-resistant
- The battery life continues for long period
- It is not very expensive
- It is easy to set up and use
- The display is plastic and not glass
8. Suunto Traverse Alpha GPS Watch
- Features a rugged, knurled stainless steel bezel, durable water repellent nylon strap, and a premium scratch resistant sapphire crystal glass. Dial Size: 50...
- Suunto's automatic shot detection technology keeps track of when and where you shoot, mapping the GPS coordinates of your location for later viewing
- GPS tracks your path, helping you find your way back using the automatic breadcrumb trail,Compatible with Suunto Movescount App (iOS and Android)
- Location based moon Phase calendar with moon rise and moon set times helps you determine the best hunting and fishing times. Operating temperature: 20° C to...
No matter which adventure sport you choose, this product by Suunto is one of the best hiking watches. For all the adventure lovers, make sure to take a look at this product. These watches are manufactured in Finland. They can function in places with temperatures ranging from 5°F to 140°F.
It comes with a smart Bluetooth connectivity option. The best thing is its night-vision which makes it convenient to use even on late night trips. The face of the watch is made of scratch-resistant sapphire crystal glass.
- Watch Movement: Automatic
- Display Type: Digital
- Water Resistance Depth: 330 Feet
- Band Material Type: Textile material
- It has got great looks
- It is water-resistant
- It comes with a night-vision option
- It is scratch-resistant
- It is costly compared to its competitors.
Tips to Remember When Purchasing the Best Camping or Hiking Watch
Firstly, never miss out on checking the battery life of the watch. Your watch is one such thing that will accompany you on all your adventures. Hence, it should have a long battery life. Some watches come with batteries that continue for months whereas there are a few that fail to stay charged even for a few hours. The later ones need to be recharged every now and then.
Also, watches that have advanced features like GPS technology need more recharging. In such a case, it will be better to carry a portable charger to ensure the battery doesn’t go off amidst the hike.
If you are someone who goes for frequent adventure trips, eventually you might get rained on. Hence, buying a water-resistant watch will save your watch from getting damaged. You don’t have to purchase a new watch every time it gets wet.
The watch band should be comfortable so that when you go hiking, it won’t cause rashes in your skin. Watches that come with a soft band stop the sweat from collecting up and help the air to flow.
Also, make sure that the watch you select fits your wrist. If you have large or small wrists, you’ll want to find a hiking watch with a suitable band, and also make sure the face of the watch is the right size.
The watch should be easy to use. It should have a simple interface. You can either go for touch screen watches or the ones that come with buttons. Either way, they have their advantages as well as disadvantages.
Touch Screen: Navigating touch screen watches becomes easy. But if you are out in the rain and your watch gets wet, it might be challenging to do things on the screen.
Also, if you are traveling to some cold places, you should be able to use the touch screen watch with your gloves on. If not, you have to struggle to take off your gloves and use the watch.
Buttons: Most people find button watches more convenient than touch screen watches. Whereas some are extremely uncomfortable using the buttons as they need to be pressed in a particular order to receive the result they want. However, the good thing about this watch is that it won’t get affected by wetness.
For those who want additional features in your watch apart from the common ones, see if you have options like music, GPS, Compass etc
Music: A popular feature on most hiking and camping watches is the facility to download music.
GPS: A GPS signal is a very useful feature. It helps you to track the directions and shows your coordinates in real-time.
Compass: Today, most GPS watches come with a compass. Thus, if you feel the need to have a compass in your watch, make sure to select between a 2D or 3D compass as per your convenience.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best watch for camping?
There are many watches in the market that are suitable for camping or hiking. However, a good outdoor watch should come with some must-have features.
Do you need a hiking watch?
A smartwatch might not be necessary for hiking or camping. However, if people want to know the metrics for exercise or other tracking reasons then a GPS watch is important. Moreover, a smart or GPS watch can contribute to wilderness navigation.
Are hiking and camping watches worth it?
A smart hiking watch will give people the most precise readings at how far they have gone, how fast they are going etc. Such watches can be used for all kinds of sports which include cycling, hiking, distance swimming and many other outdoor sports. Thus, hiking and camping watches are worth the money.
If you’re not looking to spend a significant amount on a hiking watch, there are also many economical versions that cost under $100.
No matter what features you want in your hiking watch, whether it is GPS, recording the hiking information, different modes, etc., if you choose a watch from this list it’ll make your entire hiking trip more memorable and convenient. Along with the additional features that they offer, your hiking and camping watch will be one of your most-loved devices among all of the hiking gear.