When planning a camping trip, it is important to consider the essential tools needed in order to make the most out of the experience. One of the most crucial tools to any camper’s arsenal which many fail to consider is a folding saw. A folding saw is a multipurpose tool that can do anything from cutting down branches to slicing meat, and it can even help in building a shelter in a pinch.
A quality folding saw should be able to cut without difficulty, holding sturdy despite being lightweight. Folding saws are capable of handling tougher jobs than an ordinary knife yet are lighter than an ax, making them ideal outdoor tools.
If you’re unsure of where to start in your search for the best folding saw for camping, don’t worry. We’re here to make it easy for you with our definitive list of the 5 Best Folding Saws For Camping Survival.
We’ve also provided answers to some frequently asked questions in order to calm any doubts for aspiring folding saw owners.
Without further ado, let’s start with the list!
The 5 Best Folding Saws For Camping Survival
1) Corona RS 7245 Razor Tooth Folding Saw
- Blasts through small and medium branches with ease
- Use it for faster, cleaner, smoother and easier cutting
- Each whetstone-ground razor tooth is sharpened with 3 angles
- Ideal for green or hard, dead, and frozen limbs
What makes it special?
The Corona Razor Tooth always manages to make it on lists of the best folding saws due to its agreeable price and amazing performance. The blade is extremely durable thanks to its composition of high carbon Japanese SK5 steel, and it comes in three sizes: 7, 8 and 10 inches. The varying sizes make it ideal for someone looking to complete a project where exact cuts are of the essence.
- This blade has the ability to lock in both an open and closed position. This makes it a safe option for those worried about potential accidents.
- Thanks to its comfortable handle, it’s easier than most folding saws to use for extended periods of time.
- If you’re looking for folding saws on a budget, then this is the folding saw for you! For a minimal investment, you’ll get undeniable quality on the first cut.
- It has been known to expose its teeth in the closing position, so take precautions even after using this saw.
- When the time comes to replace the blade, you will find yourself paying close to the cost of the folding saw itself for a new one.
2) Agawa Canyon – BOREAL 21 Folding Bow Saw
- VERSATILE: Take the BOREAL21 folding bow saw wherever you go - camping, backpacking, canoeing, off-trail, hunting, trail clearing or around the home.
- EASY: Opens in seconds - just unfold, snap into position & start sawing. Automatic blade tensioning with no loose parts - No need to touch the blade while...
- LIGHT & PACKABLE: Length (21”/53cm) & Weight (18oz/530g)
- EFFECTIVE & ERGONOMIC: High clearance frame for large diameter cuts, optimized geometry for the most efficient saw stoke
What makes it special?
This folding saw has a ton of specs which makes it both special and unique. For starters, the blade automatically tensions to the ideal state when deployed. When you’re done sawing, the blade folds back up in just seconds without needing to be touched. This makes it safer than most other options on the market. Also, this handy tool only weighs 1 pound! It’s so lightweight that you can saw for hours without added strain from the weight.
- The saw blade has an impressive capability of sawing through 6-inch logs like butter, making it both reliable and very powerful.
- A great plus to this folding saw comes when it is time to replace the blade. The BOREAL21 uses any standard 21-inch bow saw blade, meaning you have nearly unlimited options when the time comes.
- Anodized aluminum is used for the frame. That means extraordinary durability, rust resistance to a fantastic degree, and unparalleled strength.
- It is pricier than the other folding saws on the list, but many happy customers have deemed it to be well worth it.
- It is not manufactured with a belt loop on the sheath. Instead, it has a shoulder strap. Depending on what other items you might be carrying, this can be cumbersome.
3) REXBETI Folding Saw W/ 11 Inch Extra Long Heavy Duty
- Durable SK-5 steel blade for efficient cutting during camping survival bushcraft landscaping and general yard work
- Heavy duty rugged 11" long blade helps you power through thick branches faster, 11" blade is ideal for cutting 6" - 7" diameter branches
- Aggressive staggered teeth ( 7 TPI ) allows ultra smooth and sharp sawing
- Comfortable and longer rubber coated polymer handle ensures a firm grip in any weather condition
What makes it special?
Even though it is in the name, it really does bear repeating – the Rexbeti Heavy Duty Extra Long 11 Inch Blade will stand the test of time thanks to its SK-5 steel blade which proffers outstanding durability. It is also very comfortable to use since its polymer handle has a non-slip rubber-coating to give you a firm grip. It is a favorite of left-handed users who appreciate the handle and how it’s contoured for their particular needs.
- This convenient tool has the ability to fold into the handle for easy and compact storage.
- With its triple cut teeth, this folding saw is able to cut smoothly through wet, dry, hard, or soft wood. It can even slice through plastic or the bones of freshly hunted game.
- Rexbeti offers a lifetime warranty ensuring that you’ll get the most out of this standout folding saw for years to come!
- Some users claim it does not include a lock, so there must be extra precautions taken when it is in a folded up position to ensure user safety.
- It takes longer to saw through thicker items and that can dull the blade. So if you’re going to use it for heavy-duty work, you’ll have to sharpen the blade quite often.
4) EverSaw Folding Hand Saw
- Premium Quality - The EverSaw Folding Saw is a rugged pull cut hand saw built to last with a medium-tooth 8 inch SK5 carbon steel blade. You’ll always have a...
- Pull Cut Design - The triple-cut razor teeth of your backpacking saw are made for pull cut sawing with 9 teeth per inch (9TPI) to provide smooth fast sawing....
- Multipurpose - From camping and survival in the great outdoors to everyday yard work and landscaping our pocket folding saw is up to the task. You can use our...
- Safe and Secure Blade Lock - Your safety is our top priority with your foldable saw so our blade is specially designed with a stronger dependable gear lock to...
What makes it special?
If you’re looking for a great backpacking tool, then look no further because the EverSaw folding handsaw is equipped with an 8-inch serrated edge blade which can handle any rugged materials you throw at it. It’s also quite comfortable to use with its ergonomic grip handle which remains easy to use at any angle. The grip also proves to be very handy when used in wet conditions. This is one of the smaller folding saws on the list, but it is not limited by its size.
- The lock decompresses easily. When it comes time to store the blade, it is a safer process than most. This makes it easy to store and take along on any trip.
- The rubberized grip handle offers optimal comfort when cutting through things like rough bushes, trees, bones, and other things you come across on your camping excursion.
- It is created with a carbon steel blade that features triple-cut (or triple-sharpened) hardened teeth. So while this saw is small, it packs a mean punch!
- The blade is not replaceable. Its economic price makes this easier to swallow, but it’s still a drag when the blade gets damaged beyond repair.
- Some users complain that this saw feels heavier in action. If you’re looking for a saw that’s lightweight and easy to maneuver for long stretches, you may want to look elsewhere.
5) Felco Folding Saw
- QUALITY COMPONENTS - The small saw's high-quality steel, rust-resistant chromed blades deliver effortlessly clean, precise cuts. The impulse heated blade teeth...
- MINIMIZES BUILDUP - The Felco 600 folding pull stroke pruning saw's conical blade and expertly designed teeth geometry eliminates clogging and sap build-up for...
- HIGH PERFORMANCE - Felco's exceptionally durable pull-stroke pruning saws provide unmatched performance for a variety of arboriculture, landscaping, and...
- SIMPLE TO USE - The saw pruner has an ergonomic non-slip handle that increases comfort and safety while working. The F-600 conveniently folds in half and can be...
What makes it special?
The Felco Folding Saw makes quick cutting jobs easier while staying compact enough for camping or backpacking. The pull-stroke action is built with high-quality materials, which means this folding saw is going to last for years to come! The Felco Folding Saw also comes in multiple sizes, including 6.3 inch, 9.5 inch, or 13 inch.
- Easy to use and provides precise cutting
- Rust-proof for rainy camping trips or use around water
- Useful for camping but also work around the house, including landscaping projects when you’re home from your camping trip!
- Use on very heavy cutting jobs is not recommended
- While the blade is compact making it great for camping trips and backpacking, this saw is for small to medium sized jobs only
What is a folding saw?
A folding saw has a toothed blade that gets folded inward, making it easier to pack for camping excursions and other travel. It is a versatile tool capable of cutting through multiple materials which makes it ideal for hunters, camping enthusiasts, and even those caring for a garden.
In contrast to axes or regular saws, folding saws are much better outdoor tools due to their lightweight portability and smaller size. They vary in size and can prove to be very helpful when building shelters, slicing meat, and cutting up wood to build a campfire. Most folding saws also come with a comfortable grip which makes them much easier to use than the average saw.
Portability, comfort, and utility are the main attributes of a folding saw. It will definitely make tasks easier and stress free, which is why it is an essential tool for any outdoor enthusiast to bring along on their next camping trip.
Do folding saws cut on only the pull stroke?
Folding saws do not cut solely on the pull stroke.
Depending on what use you have in mind for it, you will either need a saw that cuts on the push stroke or the pull stroke. This is determined by the angle of the teeth:
- Pull stroke saws cut on the pull stroke and have teeth that point towards the handle. They are also characterized by their thin blade which provides more control over each stroke. This kind of folding saw is perfect for anyone looking for a precise and easy guided cut.
- Push stroke saws have teeth which point away from the handle. With the freedom to exert more pressure, it makes them ideal for heavy-duty jobs. This is a definite must have for cutting through thicker wood or wood with knots.
- Saws that can cut with both pull and push strokes have teeth that point straight down. These are perfect multipurpose tools that can perform tasks ranging from gardening to simply cutting wood. The fact that you don’t have to concentrate on the exact motion means you can finish tasks quicker which makes these perfect for users of any experience level.
How do you clean a blade that is covered in resin?
When cutting down trees with a folding saw, it is natural for it to collect some resin. When this happens, it is best to clean it as soon as possible to ensure maximum cutting capacity.
How you choose to clean your blade will inevitably affect the blades durability, which is why it is best to stay away from solvents and stick to degreasers such as Simple Green, Rockler Pitch & Resin Cleaner. Oven cleaners also work well. Since many of these solutions are quite concentrated, it is important to dilute them according to the directions provided.
Once you have your diluted solution, pour it into a container that’s large enough for your blade (even kitchen Tupperware works for this step). This soaking process takes at least five minutes depending on the amount of resin, so fire up a YouTube video or two in the interim.
The next step requires a brushing tool such as a brass brush, steel wool, or even a Scotchbrite cloth. It is important to keep your safety in mind when brushing the resin from the blade, so be careful!
Lastly, it is important to thoroughly dry the blade with a towel. If possible, use an air compressor in order to avoid any rusting. Once that is done, apply lubricant with either a saw blade lubricant stick or a spray.
It is again extremely important to remember that safety comes first when cleaning your blade, so gloves and safety glasses are advisable.
There are countless folding saws in the marketplace these days, but the five on our list above will definitely work wonders and make your next camping experience that much more pleasant and enjoyable.
With a wide range of prices, sizes, and cutting possibilities, the right folding saw is definitely worth the investment. Folding saws are dependable tools which can get a wide variety of different jobs done, and isn’t that the best kind of outdoor tool?