Packing a reliable camping knife isn’t just a good idea to consider. The best knife for camping survival could simply save your life in the face of unfortunate circumstances. Camping knives are crafted with exceptional care and precision to ensure that you can perform life-saving tasks when the time calls for it.
Whether it’s chopping firewood to stay warm or securing food if/when your supplies run out, the best knives for camping survival go above and beyond the specs and considerations of an everyday knife. Camping knives are built to last and perform above and beyond the seeming limitations of their size.
If you’re new to shopping for camping knives and survival kits which include them, you’re in luck. We’ve created this in-depth primer on all things camping knives just for you which includes our definitive list of The 5 Best Knives For Camping Survival.
We’ll also answer some key questions you may have about camping knives to ensure you’re fully confident in your upcoming purchase. Without further ado, let’s start with the list!
The 5 Best Knives For Camping Survival
1) RoverTac Multitool Hatchet
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee: WE STAND BEHIND OUR PRODUCTS AND WARRANTY. Your satisfaction is our top priority. We offer lifetime warranty against defects in...
- Compact Toolkit: Contains 14 different tools including Hammer, Axe, Pliers, Knife Blade, Saw, Assorted Hex Wrenches, Phillips screwdriver, Bottle Opener, File,...
- Heavy Duty: Full stainless steel with durable black oxidation for the main part, special red color oxidation for the handle. Strong enough to cut, pry, twist...
- Easy to Carry: This camping accessories multitool hatchet applies an UPGRADED durable sheath that FULLY covers the blade, holding the item tight in position,...
What makes it special?
The ultimate in versatility, the RoverTac Multitool Hatchet offers 14 different high-quality tools while providing a sharp camping-strong knife blade that can cut with precision and quickness. In addition to the knife itself, you get a hammer, axe, pliers, various hex wrenches, saw, bottle opener, Phillips screwdriver, fish descaler, and more! And, you get all of this for an eye-popping low price.
The knife blade is full stainless steel and is much more durable and consistently sharp than the entire set’s price point would suggest. It cuts well and without hestitation.
The amount of useful tools and the quality of those tools is completely mind-boggling. There’s so much here for such a limited investment.
Comes with a lifetime warranty and a no reason return policy. They’re so sure you’ll love this multitool masterpiece that they’re willing to give you your money back with no questions asked!
The weight and design can be really unwieldy for those carrying this tool hiking or biking while camping. It’s just not the most portable tool for those circumstances.
The rivets holding this multitool together are prone to wearing out. You may need to use your lifetime warranty a couple times to replace it for that reason.
2) Morakniv Bushcraft Carbon Steel Survival Knife
- Fixed blade knife with 1/8-inch (3.2 mm) thick carbon steel blade with anti-corrosive black coating
- Blade Thickness: 0.126" (3.2 mm), Blade Length: 4.3" (109 mm), Total Length: 9.1" (232mm), Net Weight: 5.4 oz. (154g)
- Black plastic sheath with integrated diamond sharpener and Fire Starter; ergonomic handle with high-friction rubber grip
- Morakniv Fire Starter yields 7,000 strikes and produces 3,000 degree sparks; works when wet
What makes it special?
Likely the hardest and most durable blade of all the camping knives on our list, the Morakniv Bushcraft Carbon Steel Survival Knife is second to none when it comes to powerful camping knives. The 1/8 inch thick blade balances sharpness and hardness to cut through nearly anything and keep its edge in the process. If you want the peace of mind that pure cutting power provides, this is the knife for you.
The thick carbon steel blade is the true highlight of this list when it comes to pure quality. The anti-corrosive black coating gives it a great look, but it’s how well this blade cuts which really sells it.
Sheath comes with a fire starter and integrated diamond sharpener. Wherever you go, you’re taken care of with this knife and its sheath by your side.
Comes with a limited lifetime manufacturer’s warranty. As long as you take care of your knife, the company’s warranty will take care of you.
While the carbon steel blade is treated for corrosion resistance, there’s still extra maintenance you may need to do if using this knife in extremely wet or humid environs.
Not intuitively designed for left-handed campers. It can be a bother to unsheathe and cut things properly if you’re a lefty.
3) GVDV Pocket Folding Knife with Sharpener
- High quality - The blades are made of reliable 7Cr17 stainless steel for excellent cutting performance and corrosion resistance. Ergonomic wooden handle design,...
- Well-designed - It has a really nice wooden handle with a great feel in your hand, a finely detailed and gorgeous laser etching on the blade. The locking...
- Easy to Carry - Weight 7.36 OZ, folded 4.5 inches (115mm), easy to carry. EDC knife with potable and convenience belt clip design easy to clip on your belt or...
- A wide range of USES - You can use it for camping, hiking, fishing, travel, survival, climbing, cycling, EDC, work rescue, safety and any outdoor activity, as...
What makes it special?
Combining a unique design with a high-quality construction belied by its budget price point, the GVDV Pocket Folding Knife with Sharpener is a fantastic gift for any camping lover or knife aficionado. The blade’s flashy appearance is backed up by peak-quality stainless steel which resists both wear and rust with efficacy.
Extremely well-crafted and powerful blade design which can serve multiple functions and still keep its edge.
Its gorgeous olive wood handle has a belt clip attached for easy access while you camp. No matter what you encounter, your blade will be at the ready.
Complete with a whetstone and gift box and makes a fantastic birthday present or holiday gift. It’s a knife lover’s dream gift and it doesn’t even cost that much!
There’s no spring assist to open the blade. It can be a bit of a struggle to get the blade open safely in a stressful situation.
The liner lock mechanism is placed strangely and can get in the way of getting a full grip of the handle.
4) Morpilot Pocket Tactical Knife & Emergency Fire Starter Set
- 【TOP QUALITY】: This 7.87 in Tactical Knife with 3.14 in blade is constructed of high quality Stainless Steel, super anti-rust, anti-drop and durable....
- 【5 IN 1 TACTICAL KNIFE】: With Glass breaker, Seat belt cutter, Knife, saw, this folding knife is widely used in Camping, Outdoor Survival, Hiking, Hunting,...
- 【NECKLACE FIRE STARTER】: Morpilot fire starter is more safe and reliable that can make fire easily even in cold and wet environment. Fire effect is better...
- 【 3 IN 1 FIRE STARTER】: This fire starter is definitely not simply just a make fire tool, it is also a magnetic compass that can tell you the direction when...
What makes it special?
The bang for your buck which the Morpilot Pocket Tactical Knife & Emergency Fire Starter Set provides is beyond impressive. For a very pocket-friendly price point, you get several high-quality tools including a knife with an anti-rust stainless steel blade, a seat belt cutter, a glass breaker, a saw, and a tethering capability so it can be tied to a branch with rope for catching fish. It’s an amazing deal altogether!
The stainless steel blade is of fantastic quality for such a low overall cost. It’s both anti-drop and anti-rust and much more durable than one would expect sight unseen.
Comes with a bevy of additional features we have yet to mention such as a necklace fire starter and compass. There’s so much here for any camper to benefit from.
Anti-skid handle design is calibrated perfectly to ensure the knife won’t slip from your hand and cause an injury.
The lock for this folding knife is in an awkward place under the blade. You have to be extremely careful with it.
There have been several complaints about the knife’s locking mechanism not catching. Be sure to test out your knife upon purchase to ensure proper safety.
5) StatGear Surviv-All Fixed Blade Bowie Knife
- StatGear survival outdoor knife is a stainless steel full tang knife. This durable knife can handle anything especially the tough outdoors.
- Features a drop point blade equipped with a blade sharpening stone in rear of sheath so your knife is sharp & sturdy consistently.
- Fire starter and cord cutter in sheath. The cord cutter works well for minor cuts so you don’t have to take out your knife.
- If you enjoy hunting and all other outdoor activities, you'll find the StatGear Surviv-All Outdoor Knife a convenient and practical choice for your go-to knife.
What makes it special?
One of the most versatile and tactically sound camping knives on our list, the StatGear Surviv-All Fixed Blade Bowie Knife comes complete with a drop point blade and a blade sharpening stone at the back of your sheath for easy on-the-go maintenance. Featuring a durable stainless steel full tang blade, it’s a fantastic value buy at a very reasonable price point.
Comes complete with a separate fire starter and cord cutter within the sheath.
The full-tang 440 stainless steel drop point blade offers fantastic durability for its composition while also providing fantastic corrosion resistance.
One of the best budget options out there for camping knives. You get a ton of quality for a very reasonable price tag.
The steel is easily sharpened but can struggle holding an edge for a sustained period. You’ll have to sharpen it pretty regularly with extended use.
Sharpening plate is placed in an odd position on the sheath which can rub up against your clothing in irritating fashion.
What makes a camping knife unique among other knives?
While camping knives are very similar to regular knives when assessing quality, the special circumstances in which a camping knife is used dictates some key priorities in their production.
A good knife for camping survival balances hardness, sharpness, corrosion resistance for use in the elements, and ease of use in a wide swath of extenuating circumstances.
We’ll go more into the particulars in just a second, but just know that what makes a camping knife unique is that the best of the bunch are usually forged and fashioned with the idea that they could wind up saving your life if necessary.
What should I look for when purchasing a camping knife?
There are several key elements which separate a run-of-the-mill camping knife from the best knives for camping and survival. Let’s run through what separates the best from the rest:
Balanced Dimensions and Weight – A big camping knife may be a burden to carry and unsheathe for both common and complex camping tasks. A small camping knife may not get the job done when it comes to more involved things such as cutting firewood. Therefore, we usually recommend a blade that’s between 4 to 6 inches with a total knife length around 9 to 11 inches.
Resistance Against Corrosion – Carbon steel knives retain their edge quite well and boast exceptional hardness, but they’re much more likely to suffer rust and corrosion damage than a stainless steel blade. Before picking a knife, pay attention to the climates you’ll regularly be using your camping knife and make an informed decision.
HRC – A knife’s overall resistance to bending and deforming, or hardness, is measured on a numeric Rockwell scale (HRC). When looking for a great knife for camping survival, look for a higher HRC. Most good folding knives have an HRC in the 55-64 range, so it would be a good idea to look for blades in that range.
Other Questions To Consider – Are you in need of a folding blade or can you sacrifice such utility for a fixed blade which usually lasts longer? If you buy a folding blade, does it have a special locking feature or an easy one-handed opening button? For either type, does your camping knife have a grip/handle which is comfortable for you to use? These are crucial questions you should ask yourself prior to making an investment in one of the camping knives above!
Why should I buy a knife for camping survival?
Camping knives are handy for little tasks you wouldn’t even consider for your trip, but a true knife for camping survival outstrips all that and provides you with an essential emergency tool.
Things can go very wrong when you’re miles away from your transportation and even further away from the closest town. Weather could leave you stranded, a member of your camping party could get very ill, or you could find yourself in any number of worrisome situations where a trusty and sharp camping knife will help tremendously.
Whether it’s helping you start a fire to keep warm, prepare food, or serving as an extra measure of protection from external threats, a great camping knife can and will serve many vital functions for the discerning camper.
In addition, some camping knives come with added tools such as seat belt cutters and glass breakers for car accidents where emergency services are inaccessible.
There are many claims out there when it comes to the best knives for camping survival, but don’t believe the hype. The five camping knives on our list are the pinnacle of quality and value in a crowded marketplace.
An investment in one of our highlighted camping knives is an investment in your safety and comfort for many camping trips to come.