There’s nothing that beats spending time with your pooch, especially when camping. Even so, dogs can get into a little mischief when given too much freedom and there is a need to keep them contained. For this reason, you’ll want to make sure you have the right dog harness for camping trips and other times spent outdoors.
It is important for ensuring that your dog stays safe and comfortable. While a simple harness can achieve this, it can cause injuries to your dogs’ trachea. A good harness should heighten your camping experience. Below is a review of the best dog harness for camping.
How to Choose the Best Dog Harness for Camping
Choosing the right dog harness is not as simple as finding one at the pet store, and there are several more considerations to think about besides how it fits your dog. When taking your dog camping, the right harness and its qualities can improve how well your dog stays in your control, sight, and both of your safety.
Consider the following when choosing the right dog harness for your next camping trip:
Fit and Comfort
Like any other pet accessory, you should ensure that the harness snugly fits your dog. Choosing an extra tight harness is not only uncomfortable for your dog but also restricts the dog’s movement. Measure the neck circumference and dog chest when choosing the size.
Ensure that your dog’s harness doesn’t rub the armpits or other sensitive areas. Also, be weary of loose or rough stitching or harsh materials that could lead to excessive rubbing and discomfort for your pet.
The durability of your dog’s harness will become more important if you have a larger, stronger animal. For breeds that have more strength, the harnesses can easily rip when they are playing with other dogs or people. They can also get caught on a thick bush or rock when And finally, you want a harness that can withstand excessive pulling if your animal isn’t fully trained on a leash or gets spooked easily.
Ensure that your dog’s harness doesn’t rub the armpits and other sensitive areas. This is again, more true if you have a dog that will pull on their leash.
You may want to prefer brightly colored dog harnesses over duller options. Reflective materials are also great for finding your animals at night time with a flashlight.
Many camping dog harnesses are like Batman’s utility belt built with pockets and storage compartments. Use this to keep your pet’s snacks, some water, a collapsible bowl, and other useful items that you and your dog will need.
Best Dog Harness for Camping Highlights
|Dog Harness for Camping||Our Rating|
|Jiepai Tactical Dog Harness||Best overall|
|Chai’s Choice Rover Scout Harness||Best for parks|
|BABYLTRL Big Dog Harness||Best for big dogs|
|Rabbitgoo Dog Harness||Best harness adjustments|
|Domi Light Up Dog Harness||Best with LED lights|
|Kurgo Baxter Back Pack Harness||Best fitting harness|
|Voyager Step-In Air Dog Harness||Best for all-weather|
Best Dog Harness for Camping Review
Jiepai Tactical Dog Harness
- DOG BACKPACK - Made of high quality 500D nylon and zippers material with neat stitching and soft padded lining to prevent chafing for your dog's skin and hair...
- ADJUSTABLE DOG HARNESS BACKPACK - The front strap and hook-and-loop belly strap with UTX-Duraflex buckles so the pack stays in place and wrap dog's neck & belly...
- MULTI-FUNCTIONAL DOG PACK - 3L pouch with two 2" by 7" loop panels on either side for carrying water, dog food, treats, toys. Ideal for dog hiking, camping,...
- DOG SADDLE BAG - Top handle will redirect the dog forward motion and allow you to control the puller with few effort and training your dog to walk beside you....
Best overall dog harness for camping
The Jiepai Tactical Dog Harness is a perfect and versatile dog harness for camping, hiking, exploring, traveling, and other multifunctional uses. It suits both medium and large breeds, from German Shepherds to retrievers to pitbulls. It was designed with dogs’ comfort in mind, thanks to its 500D nylon with neat stitching and soft padded lining. The material prevents chafing of your dog’s skin.
- Adjustable in chest and neck area for a more comfortable fit
- Durable and rugged design for camping and other activities
- Large storage pockets that stays balanced on your dog
- Large handle grip in the back to keep your dog restrained for when you need full control of your animal
- Tactical design
- Rugged look and design
- Can be bulky for smaller dogs
- Can be oversized for all day wear
Chai’s Choice Rover Scout Harness
- Military Grade Dog Harness: Tactical backpack made with industrial strength and extremely durable Dupont Cordura Waterproof fabric to endure the most extreme...
- Service Dog Vest with MOLLE accessories: 2 Detachable (7" x 5") MOLLE pouches with MOLLE straps and durable SBS Zippers.
- High Visibility Tactical Dog Harness: 3M Reflective material throughout this service dog harness ensures high visibility in all weather conditions.
- High-End Features on the Service Dog Harness: Duraflex buckles, aluminum alloy D-ring, soft mesh breathable padding, and ergonomic fully adjustable design make...
Best dog backpack
As you head out camping, it is important to carry dog food and water along so your pet has water and snacks available to last throughout the day. However, this doesn’t mean you have to increase your luggage or carry an extra bag. The Chai’s Choice Rover Scout Harness can help in creating extra storage space, just large enough to carry your dog’s stuff. It comes with two detachable pouches that can be filled with food, treats, and toys. It also has three straps for a comfortable fit and reflective material to keep your dog visible.
- Two detachable pouches
- Buckles are durable and well-crafted
- Soft, breathable padding
- Extremely durable
- Reflective liners to quickly find your animal in the dark
- Doesn’t have a handle on the back for quick animal control
- No chest hook for dogs that pull
BABYLTRL Big Dog Harness
- Extra large size: Chest Girth 32-42 inch. Perfect harness for large dogs, like golden retriever, great dane, saint bernard and more; You’d better determine...
- No pull and choke free: Pulling pressure is evenly distributed to the body to prevent Pulling and Choking. Our dog vest harness comes with 100% Satisfaction...
- Easy to wear & adjustable: This pet harness with simple design and quick snap buckles which make it easy to put on and take off; Fully adjustable straps at the...
- Sturdy handy handle: Our pet dog harness comes with sturdy D-ring leash attachment point and easy grap handle to help you to control and assist your dog.
Best for larger dogs
The BABYLTRL Big Dog Harness is a great choice for owners of big dogs, such as Great Danes, pitbulls, German Shepherds, labs, and other strong animals. It has front and back D-ring leash attachment points that prevent choking and pulling. It is also reflective and comes with a sturdy handle for quick control of your animal in case you two come across any wildlife or dangerous situations.
The harness is made of a soft-to-touch material on the inner lining so that even a strong, pulling dog won’t be left with scratches.
- Reflectable in the dark
- Sturdy handle built for strong dogs
- Pull and choke free
- Easy to wear and adjust
- Affordable pricing
- Too bulky for smaller breeds
- No storage for camping
Rabbitgoo Dog Harness
- Large Dog Harness - Recommended Breeds: Medium to Large Dogs, such as Golden Retriever, Huskie, Labrador, Alaska, German Shepherd, Akita, etc. Please measure...
- No Pull, No Choke - Our non-pulling dog harness is specially designed with 2 metal leash rings for safer dog walks. Use the chest attachment clip to stop your...
- Easy to Use - This hassle-free overhead harness is easy to put on and take off with its 2 fast-release buckles. Slide the harness over your dog's head, buckle...
- Fully Adjustable - This adjustable harness features 4 easy adjusting straps around the body. You can use its 2 neck straps and 2 chest straps to create a...
Best harness adjustments
Taking your dog along when camping has a lot of challenges, especially with the excitement that comes with meeting new furry friends. With the no-pull design, you will enjoy better control of your dog, especially with the front clip. Anytime your dog pulls, it gets turned around instead of moving forward.
There are several, fantastic adjustments that can be made to this dog harness so that it fits your canine comfortably.
- Premium quality used in construction
- Durable enough to handle strong pullers
- Comfortable enough for all day use
- Sturdy top handle
- Bright reflective material around outer linings
- Quick-release buckles
- Straps are quite difficult to adjust
- No storage for camping
Domi Light Up Dog Harness
- 🐶 SAFETY LED DOG HARNESS --- The reflective dog harness with 2 Flashing Modes (Fast-flashing, Steady glowing) enhance visibility and safety when out for a...
- 🐶EASY TO WEAR & ADJUST --- This comfortable & breathable padded dog harness with quick snap buckles which make it easy to put on and take off. The adjustable...
- 🐶NO PULL DOG HARNESS DESIGN --- Pulling pressure is evenly distributed to the dog to prevent Pulling and Choking. This no pull harness is perfect for daily...
- 🐶EASY TO WASH --- The new designed battery can be easliy removed and the soft mesh material offers a long lifetime and easy to clean for this dog vest...
Best dog harness with lights
The Domi Light Up Dog Harness is a great dog harness of choice for small, medium, and large dog breeds. It features two flashing modes, a steady glowing and fast-flashing, which enhance the visibility of your dog while camping or on other outdoor activities. Use this harness if you have any concerns of losing track of your pet and want to track them down quickly.
- LED lights
- USB rechargeable
- Available in multiple colors
- Decent amount of adjusting to fit multiple ranges per size
- Comfortable and breathable padding
- Glows in the dark
- Chest strap can be short for some breeds
- Must remove battery to wash / get wet
Kurgo Baxter Back Pack Harness
- Hiking Backpack for Dogs to Wear - Saddlebag for dogs is lightweight & comfortable. The 2-sided dog pack provides enough space for all your pup’s essentials,...
- Dog Harness & Backpack in 1 - Backpack for dogs includes an integrated dog harness with rear mounted leash ring to attach pet leash. Rear d-ring can also be...
- Reflective, Includes Padded Handle - Dog hiking backpack has a large handle for extra control over your pet, or to assist them over obstacles. Dog pack includes...
- Size and Fit – 2 sizes of hiking, dog pack: Baxter size is for dogs 30-85 Pounds, & fits 3. 75 Length Big Baxter size is for dogs 50-110 Pounds & fits 7. 5...
Best camping harness with most storage
The Kurgo Baxter Back Pack Harness is not only good for camping but also for hiking. The strong build enables it to withstand tough outdoor conditions. It comes with eight adjustment points, ensuring that it properly fits any dog. It also features a rear-mounted leash that works like a harness for dogs that like being on the lead.
The best part of this harness is clearly the storage that is available. Make sure you have a stronger animal with decent balance (this means no older dogs) if you are looking to pack any decent amount in the available saddlebags.
- Reflective trim for easy visibility
- Most amount of storage in any dog harness we’ve listed
- Sturdy handle
- Custom-fitting for comfort
- Chest might not fit dogs with larger upper bodies
- Can get bulk for smaller pooches
Voyager Step-In Air Dog Harness
- ATTENTION: Sizing does NOT directly correspond to your pet's breed or weight. Please MEASURE your pet by printing out our Size Guide which has a measuring tape...
- ALL WEATHER MESH: Made with a soft, breathable air mesh, this lightweight pet harness is perfect for walks all year round.
- REFLECTIVE BANDS: Two reflective bands on the sides of this harness enhance your pet’s visibility for those early morning and late evening strolls.
- THREE SAFETY FEATURES: Our hook and loop fastener, buckle and double D-rings work together protect your pet in three layers of security.
Best lightweight harness
The Voyager Step-In Air Dog Harness is another awesome harness that’ll enhance your camping experience with your pooch. It is an all-weather harness that handles any tough weather conditions. Best of all, this is the lightest dog harness of the bunch so it is great for keeping on your pet all day and overnight. The harness is designed with breathable mesh material that keeps your dog cool even on hot days and insulation on chilly weather.
- Available in various sizes
- Lightweight and comfortable for all day use
- Non-irritating material
- Multiple color options
- Reflective bands for good visibility at night
- Not good for dogs with triangular or narrow heads
- Larger, stronger breeds that pull might pose a risk in restraining with this harness
How do I know the best dog harness size for my dog?
Finding a perfectly fitting dog harness is important. Therefore, begin by measuring your dog’s neck and chest girth. You should then compare it with the chart provided by the manufacturer.
The great thing about buying on Amazon is their return policy, making it easy to find the right size for your doggo.
Is there a difference between a walking harness and a camping harness?
There isn’t much difference between a walking harness and a camping harness other than more emphasis on durability and other features. For example, a camping harness can come with saddlebags to allow for more storage while going on a hike or spending time away from the campsite. You should also look for a dog harness that can handle a camping trip’s amount of abuse including getting wet or possibly torn.
Can I wash my camping dog harness?
Yes, it is important that you regularly wash your dog harness. Most of these products can be hand washed and air-dried. Keep in mind, any dirt or small rocks that get lodged into the harness can become very irritable so keep up with cleaning and checking for debris regularly.
Dog harnesses with LED lights should make sure they are fully waterproof or remove the battery if indicated by the manufacturer.
What should you look for in a camping harness?
You should be wary of several common issues that come with a camping dog harness. Among them, include broken attachment loops, irritations, and difficulty in wearing or taking it off.
Harness Your Dog For Safety and Comfort
Camping is a great opportunity to deepen the bond between you and your dog. This experience should be complemented by purchasing a good dog harness to ease control of your dog. You shouldn’t detract from your camping experience by regularly having to readjust the harness or making sure it is still intact.
Stay safe campers and keep your doggo safe too!