Your pet is an integral part of your family and they love to venture into the outdoors. So it makes absolute sense to tag them along on your next big camping trip!
Any canine would jump at any opportunity to roam about in nature and get a bit dirty. Be it mountains, woods, or open beaches, your dog would love to go on a new outdoor adventure for a few days. Cats though can be tricky animals to bring on a camping trip as they love the comfort of home.
But dogs are ideal camping buddies. They would stick their heads out of the window throughout their car ride in excitement. Camping with dogs, irrespective of their breed or size, just takes a bit of preparation and a few extra supplies to make your experience fun and comfortable.
Camping gear for your canine is a must. It keeps them safe, secured, warm, and always within your sight. So, let’s look into some of the most important camping gear you would want to carry for your next camping trip!
Tricks and tips for camping with a pet
Camping is an exciting hobby and it gets even more fun when you have your pets around. It may sound overwhelming but with the right kind of preparation, you can make it hassle-free and memorable.
To make your life easier, here are a few tips that help you prep for the best camping experience with your beloved pet.
First aid kit
While packing for a camping trip, it is vital you carry a first aid kit to ensure your own safety as well as that of your pet. Pets are mostly excited to venture into the wild; it is best to be prepared for everything. Your first aid kit should essentially contain the following:
- Medical tape
- Vet wrap
- Heat and cold packs
- Antibiotic ointment
- Bug spray for pets
- Digital thermometer
- Magnifying glass
- Oral syringes
- Cotton balls
- Hydrogen Peroxide
Medical kits are essentials for both you and your pets. Heat packs can keep your pet warm on cold nights.
Be your pet’s constant companion
When you take your pets on a camping trip, make sure you never leave them alone. Dogs especially get frightened easily and might start whimpering. Unless there are other dogs at the camping site, it is not safe to leave your pet alone.
If you decide to go for a walk, take your dog along. Any canine enjoys a nice walk at a new place. If your dog has a tendency to get tired quickly, we suggest you take a dog carrier too.
If you are leaving your pet at the campsite with other dogs, always keep a tracker on them. Dogs love to explore new places but can easily get lost or might get scared trying to find their way back home.
Even with all the preparations, you will not be able to find the comfort of your home in the woods. If it is your pet’s first trip to the woods, they will have a hard time adjusting to the new environment. So, it is better to give them some assurance and sleep along with them.
Tuck them next to you and sleep with them. At times, your pup might be super excited about the trip but you wouldn’t want them roaming in the dark on their own. It is better if you zip up the tent and co-sleep with them.
The thought of cuddling with them will give them a sense of responsibility towards you and they will stay to protect you.
If your dog is having difficulty sleeping, play soft music to soothe and calm them down. Let them play till they fall asleep. Co-sleeping is the best way to sleep peacefully with your pet. If you have more pets on the trip, then they can all sleep together but bring the smallest of all next to you.
Be it a short or long trip, there are a few essentials you will have to carry if you are camping with your pets. Bowls, water, and kibbles. Bowls can help you measure their meals right and always keep them well hydrated and fed throughout the trip.
If you are climbing mountains or hiking along canons, make sure you hydrate your pup every hour. With portable bowls, you can easily feed them on the run. You can clip them onto your backpack. Make sure you have enough dog food packed. Carry some extra treats to motivate your furry friend on the trip.
Bring food only during mealtime
While camping for the first time, your pup can either be super excited to try new places or too scared to venture out. Most pet parents try to lure their pups with treats but it is a wrong idea. Slowly encourage them to come out of their comfort zone and adjust to the new environment.
When you keep feeding them on the hike, they’ll resort to the treats and won’t adapt to the new place. You can feed them water but take food out only during mealtime. The extra treats can be saved for times when they achieve a milestone like finishing a day trail. Too much food isn’t ideal when they are hiking.
Also, let your dog explore and look for food on their own in nature. Just keep a watch but let them try things. Let them hang out in the wild and enjoy the experience. When there are other dogs on the trip, most pet parents bring the same kind of food. So, it’s better to give them some leeway when it comes to trying new food.
Check for ticks
Dogs’ coats attract a lot of ticks when they are in the wild. While running around and camping, your dog can easily pick bugs and ticks on their thick coat. To avoid this, you may give them a nice buzz cut before the trip.
After an excruciating camping day, let your dog sit calmly for a while before you start checking for ticks and bugs. Check under the neck, underbelly, behind the ears, on their fur coats, and near the tail. Pick the ticks and kill them right away.
Apply organic tick spray to their coats at night. Do not overdo it as some bug sprays can cause allergies. Make sure you give them a nice shower when you get back home. Ticks can be really harmful as they cause a lot of pain, rashes, and allergies. If you see your pup scratching a lot, immediately check their coats.
Just like how humans react to different plants and external environments, canines are just the same. They react differently to plants in the woods and the weather. So before you go camping, get your pup vaccinated. Make sure they are medically healthy to explore in the wild.
There are some campsites where you might have to show vaccination certificates to bring your pets. So look for the pet policies and get the necessary vaccines to enter the respective areas.
Always be on your toes when it comes to your pet. If they show any signs of abnormalities, rashes, or scratching behavior, you need to immediately check on them and if it’s serious, take them to a vet.
Be an amazing neighbor
If you are going to a campsite, you would have to be extra careful if you have pets. Pets tend to get super excited around new people. It is better to keep them on leash till they calm down and address the neighbors properly.
Even trained canines would lose their discipline with too many neighbors. Let them greet fellow campers and play with them but always keep them on leash so that if anything goes wrong, you are able to take charge.
The best camping gear for pets to get your hands on
Elevated pet bed – YEP HHO Large Elevated Folding Pet Bed Cot
Elevated beds help keep your pet warm and clean. They can be carried anywhere and pets can easily sleep on them. Check out the elevated bed from YEP HHO which are made of polyester, making them easy to wash and keep dry.
All you need is a damp cloth to wipe off any dirt or stain. The material is water-resistant and has a high breathable capacity. You can also easily dust it off if your furry friend jumps with dirty paws.
The whole Teslin mesh surface of this bed keeps your pet cool on sunny trips. It comes with a durable and sturdy alloy steel framework to support your jumpy buddy. The PVC legs include non-skid rubber feet which keep the bed stable in any outdoor setting.
Besides, this elevated bed’s compact design makes it suitable for any adventurous trip. It can easily be folded and packed up. What’s more, there’s even a carry bag for the bed for your convenience.
If this isn’t the right one, look for more of the best dog beds for camping in our guide.
|Dimensions||42 inches x 24 inches x 9.2 inches (LxBxH)|
- Mesh surface keeps the bed dry
- Easy to wash
- Sturdy framework
- Not ideal for heavy dogs
- Chances of the framework getting rusty
Lightweight hiking backpack – Outward Hound Lightweight Dog Backpack
- STYLISH & COMFORTABLE DOG PACK:The Denver Urban Pack fits all your essentials in a fashionable yet practical way that's comfortable for your pooch. Perfect for...
- FOUR STORAGE COMPARTMENTS: This saddleback dog backpack is designed with two large expandable pockets and two zip pockets on each side for even weight...
- BREATHABLE MESH & ADJUSTABLE STRAPS: The Denver Urban Pack is thoughtfully constructed to keep your pet comfortable with breathable mesh fabric, adjustable...
- SIZING BASED ON GIRTH: Available in two sizes: small/medium and large/XL based on the girth measurement of your dog.
Check out the Outward Hound Lightweight Dog Backpack which is very stylish and can come real handy for your canine during an outdoor trip. This is perfect for hound canines, especially the bigger breeds.
The backpack comes with a leash handle in the middle and two handy pouches on either side. You can add all your dog’s essentials to these pouches and go on an adventurous hike.
There are four compartments, two expandable pockets, and two zip pockets on each side where you can easily pack food, treats, plenty of water, training accessories, and toys.
The lightweight dog backpack is made of breathable mesh and adjustable straps to help your canine carry it comfortably. If you have a big hound, you will need the necessary toys and retraining accessories to help your dog adapt to the woods.
Some dogs also require medicines such as bug repellents or a first aid kit to treat them in case the dog gets hurt. This backpack is ideal to pack all of these essentials that your canine might need.
Some hounds, although large in size, have a skinny build. To address all size variations, the Outward Hound backpack comes in three sizes and adjustable straps. Remember, this backpack is ideal only for the hound breeds.
Find more of the best dog harnesses for camping here.
|Dimensions||11 x 15 x 2 inches (LxBxH)|
- Breathable mesh, adjustable straps
- Enough space to carry all necessities
- Ideal only for big dogs
- No space for water bottles
Lightweight backpacking tent – HILLMAN 2 Person Lightweight Backpacking Tent
- 【Waterproof Tent for All Weather 】Tent flysheet with snow skirt used the rugged 210T anti-tear checkered polyester with high-tech seam taped , the backpack...
- 【EASY TO SET UP & FREESTANDING】: 2 poles with Clip-pole attachment for lighter weight, easier set up and better breath-ability. Freestanding allows the...
- 【Backpacking Tent 2 Person Ultralight 】It is just over Weight 5.06lb and light enough for bike and canoe camping and short backpacking trips, be great for...
- 【Spacious Tent for 2 Person】: This backpacking tent is spacious enough with two D-Shaped doors and two vestibules to accommodate up to two people. Weight:...
The HILLMAN Camping Tent is an amazing camping residence for both humans and pets. This brand crafts their tents with lightweight and durable polyester, thus making them waterproof and dust-resistant.
A great backpacking trip always requires a warm shelter for you as well as your pets. It doesn’t matter where you’re traveling to and the kind of environment you’re hiking at, taking this camping tent will make sure you and your furry buddy have a roof over your heads in the woods.
It comes with Velcro vents precisely designed to enable good ventilation while also preventing rainwater from getting inside the tent.
It also comes with a lock system to make sure your pet is safe during the night. It can resist strong winds and protection in extreme conditions. With a smooth zipper, you and your pet can be secured inside if you experience rough weather.
If you have several pets on your hike, you can carry two or three tents to have a fun ride, as one tent can easily accommodate three dogs. You can also fit a small table or toys inside.
For extra warmth, you can place a carpet or tent warming pad at the base. If your pets are super excited and jumpy creatures who love to get dirty, don’t worry! You can easily wash your tent or just wipe it with a damp cloth. The aluminum alloy framework makes the tent sturdy and stable during all seasons.
For even more tents, check out our full guide on choosing the best tent for camping with dogs.
|Dimensions||17 x 7 x 5 inches (LxBxH)|
- Lock system facility
- Lightweight, waterproof, and dust-resistant
- Velcro vents for proper ventilation
- Ideal for only two dogs
- Difficult to carry around
Dog sleeping bag – KUDES Dog Sleeping Bag
- 【Size】:The Pet sleeping bag dimension approx.43.3"Lx27.5"W, its width can be up to 58" when you open it with side zipper, you also can use it as bed mat...
- 【Comfortable Material】:The dog bed bag is made of polyester outer with soft fleece inner, waterproof,warm,soft and comfortable for your pet !
- 【Safe Design】: With zipper on the tail and one side of the bag, and drawstring design on the head keeps dog protected.
- 【Portable and Washable】:The dog bed mat comes with a travel-friendly carry bag,you can roll it up when not use, easy to carry and store. Easy to wash.
The KUDES Dog Sleeping Bag is the best choice to keep your canine cozy and comfortable during an exhausting trip. It is a waterproof sleeping bag made of durable polyester on the exterior, with a quick drying capacity. You can easily shake off the dirt.
The best part of this product is its interior. It has a dog pad made of fleece so your pet can comfortably sleep on a soft and warm bed at night. You can easily roll up and carry this lightweight sleeping bag anywhere. Be it in the woods, on a beach, or any other camping site, the sleeping bag comes handy for pets.
Dogs who are used to their own beds at home love to have their own space even during a hike. Besides, you will need to be prepared for all kinds of weather conditions. With KUDES dog sleeping bag, you can either flip the top side if it’s too hot or tuck your paw friend into the sleeping bag on a cold night.
It is washing machine-safe and can accommodate dogs of all sizes. Much to your delight, it comes in various sizes and colors. With a sleeping bag, you don’t have to worry about your cute canine during a hike.
|Dimensions||44 x 28 x 2 inches (LxBxH)|
- Comfortable, cozy sleeping bag
- Fleece pad
- Comes in various sizes and colors
- Ideal for smaller breeds
- Larger dogs may not find it comfortable.
Dog food travel bag – Kurgo Kibble Carrier for Dogs
- Keeps Dog Food Fresh: Dog food carrier is equipped with roll-down top and hex-weave material to keep food fresh, and keep out pests and unwanted moisture.
- Extra Storage Pockets: Zippered side pocket is perfect for treats, keys, doggie bags or extra cash; zippered bottom opening conveniently fits one of our Kurgo...
- Made from Safe Materials: Dog food container is PVC free and includes food-safe PEVA liner with heat sealed seams that prevents kibble oil seepage.
- 5 LB Capacity: This dog food storage container can store up to 5 pounds of dry food at a time, provides perfect solution for packing down dog food to maximize...
The Kurgo Kibble Carrier for Dogs addresses every hunger issue your canine might face during a camping trip. This is a must-have camping gear, especially when you have hungry dogs. When you are on a trip, getting drenched in rain or amidst moist woods is always possible.
Your pup needs fresh and dry food to restore energy and make sure they are active throughout the hiking journey. Kurgo’s carrier comes with a durable pet travel container that can store enough food to keep your canine happy and satisfied.
This carrier is made of strong 400d hex weave material with a roll-down top that can keep food fresh by preventing moisture, pests, and unwanted dirt from spoiling the edibles. With a comfortable carrying handle, it is easy to carry around. You can use the handle to hang your other traveling bags too.
Extra storage pockets are the most attractive part of this carrier bag. Zippered side pockets are best to store any plates, extra treats, pet accessories, and training tools. Big bowls can also be stuffed inside the main bag.
The food container is made of certified PVC. It comes with a PEVA liner with heat-sealed seams that prevent any oil seepage. The container can easily be taken out and washed. It can store up to 5 pounds of dry food at a time, making it ideal for camping. All in all, it makes sure your pet is well-fed during a long, tiring hike.
|Dimensions||7 x 7 x 14 inches (LxBxH)|
- Can carry 5 pounds of food
- Washable container
- Storage pockets to store dog bowls
- You cannot carry multiple boxes at a time.
- Not ideal for really long trips
Paw protectors – All Weather Neoprene Paw Protector Dog Boots
- Dog Tested and Dog Approved! High Quality Breathable Neoprene Dog Booties that Conform to your Dog's Natural Paw Shape and will Not Inhibit Natural Paw...
- Bark Brite Booties are Great for all Weather Conditions, Indoor and Outdoor Activities including Walking, Running, Hiking, Hunting, Swimming, and other Moderate...
- Will Keep your Pup's Paws Clean, Dry, and Safe with Protection from Ice and Snow, Hot Asphalt, Sharp Objects, Rocks, Wet Surfaces, and Many More.
- Booties come with 2 Elastic Reflective Straps for 360 Degree Visibility and Easy Adjustment. 3.5 inch Slit in Back of Booties to make the On/Off Process Easy...
Bark Bite Neoprene paw protectors are the best products in the market. When you hike or camp by the lakeside, there are high chances of tiny bugs getting in between your dog’s paws or sharp stones hurting them.
You can’t control these external factors but you can definitely cover your pet’s paws. This is where paw protectors come into the picture.
Bark Bite’s paw protectors act as both socks and boots. The brand has widely researched on dog’s paws and come up with an amazing and effective design. These protectors always stay on as they fit perfectly without confining your pet’s movement.
Dogs can wear them anywhere, be it muddy surfaces, in water, or the woods. It gives a good grip and also keeps the paws secure from any harm.
The neoprene material and the snug fit provide support to your dog’s joints to brace themselves on uneven and slippery terrains. These paw protectors are vital when you go hiking and camping up in the mountains.
They come in various sizes and make a perfect fit for all breeds. Of course, you will have to measure the paw, check the measurement chart for the size, and get the right one.
With adjustable straps on the top, you can tighten or loosen these boots according to your pet’s preference. The best thing is, they are machine washable. They also keep your canines’ paws warm and protected, especially during winters.
|Sizes available||S, M, L, XL, XXL|
- Protects paws in all temperatures
- Acts as both socks and boots
- Easily washable
- Confines movement
- Might not be appropriate for hound breeds
- Chances of tiny stones getting stuck inside and causing discomfort
Pet wipes – Pogi’s Grooming Wipes
- Conditioning Ingredients - Aloe Vera, Vitamin E, and Hawaiian Awapuhi help clean, freshen and condition while giving the coat a healthy shine. Perfect for...
- Large Pet Wipes (8 x 9 inches) - Our textured dog grooming wipes are made big enough for even the largest dogs, and thick enough for the heaviest coats....
- Versatile - When normal baths are not an option, pet parents love using Pogi’s dog cleaning wipes for gentle puppy baths, pets under stress, or pets post...
- Hypoallergenic Dog Wipes - Completely free of parabens, sulfates, alcohol so they’re safe for daily use. They are also gentle enough wipes for use around the...
Pogi’s Grooming Wipes are highly organic and hypoallergenic, perfect for both dogs and cats. When you are hiking, there are circumstances where you cannot find water or clothes to wipe your pets clean before they enter the tents.
Sometimes they might also get hurt and you’d need something to clean up their wounds before dressing them. This is where wet wipes come in handy.
Pogi’s wet wipes are made of conditioning ingredients like aloe vera, vitamin E, and Hawaiian Awapuhi which help to clean, freshen, and condition your pets. It’s ideal for wiping away any form of dirt and odor from your pet’s paws, body, and bum.
These wipes are quilted dog wipes designed to be big enough for the largest dogs and heaviest coats. Made from 100% bamboo fiber, they are the best natural wet wipes available in the market. They are completely free of parabens, alcohol, and harsh chemicals. So fear not, your pets are safe.
Some pets are allergic to scented products and they end up getting seizures due to use of heavily scented products. With Pogi’s grooming wet wipes, you have nothing to worry about. They are unscented and fresh wipes safe for your pets.
|Dimensions||8 x 9 inches|
|Number of wipes||100 wipes a pack|
- Healthy cleaning
- Organic and chemical-free
- Made from natural bamboo fiber
- Limited number of wipes
LED dog collar – Blazin’ Safety LED Dog Collar
- Blazin' Security! Outstanding visibility of 350 yards. Be seen by traffic. Save your pet's life.
- Top Technology! Slimmest bulb strip and on/off box. Don't accept unevenly lit light strips or bulbs too big for resizing. Don't let your pup look silly with a...
- Charge From Any Device! Runs over 8 hours. Track your pet camping, in the backyard, on evening hikes or if lost at night.
- Looks Great! 3 modes (on, strobe, blink). 1” wide. Assorted colors. Sizes run large but resize 40% of total length. Protect your pup from all the dangers in...
The Blazin’ Safety LED Dog Collar is the best dog collar for your canine, especially during camping trips. Dogs that are used to staying at home might have difficulty adjusting to nature and camping grounds for the first time.
They will have even more trouble during the night amidst all the darkness, the unfamiliar surroundings, and sounds.
The best way to assure them that they are safe is with a little light. Blazin’ brings you an amazing LED dog collar to always keep a tab on your pet as well as guide them in the dark. They will help you locate your pup if it’s lost in the new place or if it meets with an accident somewhere.
This one’s a loose collar that comes with small LED lights around it. They come in various colors and you can make your pet pick the color they are comfortable with. You can easily charge the collar and it runs for 8 hours straight.
The dog collar comes in three modes. The ‘on’ mode keeps the light switched on continuously. The ‘strobed’ mode gives out continuous flashes and is handy when you are trekking in the dark and your canine is leading the way.
Thirdly, the ‘blink’ mode is ideal when dogs are sleeping or resting with other dogs. Best thing? The product is certified and approved to be used by any pet.
|Sizes available||XS, S, M, L, XL|
- Ideal choice for night hikes
- Good lighting with three modes of lighting
- Available in various colors and sizes
- Can be disturbing for some dogs
- Chances of incurring short circuits
Collapsible dog bowls – IDEGG Portable Silicone Pet Bowl
- Foldable & Convenient: Foldable pet bowl is 5 inches wide, 2.1 inches height, each bowl holds up to 12 fluid ounces of water or 1.5 cups of pet food - 0.5...
- Safe materials: Made with high quality flexible Food-Grade silicone,100% Lead-free, BPA Free.Easy for storage and transportation: The Bowls include...
- Package Include:2 * IDEGG Foldable Cat/Dog Bowl .2 * IDEGG Carabiner .1* IDEGG IDEGG Storage Nylon Bag
- Proud supporters of animal rescues: Our products have brightness colors that can provide enough warning for your pet's rescue, if you clip the bowl on your...
The IDEGG Portable Silicone Pet Bowl is the best dog bowl to carry on any camp trip. When you are hiking with very little baggage, pet bowls and their food can take up immense space.
The best way to accommodate space as well as make sure your pets have enough food on their plate is with IDEGG’s portable pet bowls.
It is a foldable pet bowl that can be easily stuffed into a corner without any disturbance. You can fill it with water or food when you take a break during the hike. It can easily be washed and dried.
This pet bowl is made with high-quality flexible food grade silicone. They are also 100% lead and BPA-free, thus making sure your pets aren’t exposed to any toxic chemicals.
The bowls come in various colors for you to choose from. You can easily clip it to your bag or stuff it in. As it’s made of silicone, there is no chance of damage or breakage. Each bowl is designed to hold one average meal for a canine.
It is the best way to make sure your pets are properly hydrated and fed during a trip.
Need more ideas on portable dog bowls? Click for more portable dog bowls here.
|Dimensions||6.5 x 5 x 0.5 inches|
- Foldable pet bowls
- Easy handling and can be carried anywhere
- High quality silicone
- The rim can break due to rough handling.
- If dogs get aggressive, the silicone can tear from their bite.
5 precautions to take when you camp with dogs
The best thing about dogs is how much they love the outdoors. But it is important for you to have some control over your pup to make sure they are safe and they do not cause harm to anyone. Let’s look into the 5 cautionary measures you can take when camping with your pets.
Excessive barking is a sign of territorial aggression. You might find your pup barking excessively at strangers and randomly at the campsite. It is mostly because of stress. When dogs come to new places, they feel confined or stressed out to see so many new people. Not all dogs are fun and approachable.
It is important you let them settle down before you take them near other campers. Walk them around and let them familiarize themselves with their surroundings and then walk them to the campers. This way, you will prevent them from getting too aggressive which can make them attack other people.
Dogs are adorable beings and everyone wants to feed and pamper them. But they need to be trained so that they do not go around to new people for food. If they try unfamiliar food, it can lead to an upset stomach or even allergies.
It is important they stick to their own food. So always feed them by their mealtime and carry some treats to keep them engaged. Train your dogs before you go camping outside.
Call of nature
Do not bring dogs who are not potty trained to camping sites. It is important because there’ll be other campers at the campsite too. As a pet parent, always be prepared to carry plastic bags and your own pooper scooper.
It is okay if it’s in the woods but at camping sites, they need to be trained. Pick camping sites that are dog-friendly and help you dispose of any kind of waste properly. Dogs will be well behaved if they are trained.
Triggering aggressive behavior
If your dog is of a protective breed or is a big canine, there are high chances they can mistake other people’s actions. They always want to protect their parents and family and would attack anyone who shows suspicious behavior.
Your dog can mistake loud laughter, clapping, or even new people coming and hugging as signs of attack. They will instantly turn protective and try to snap at the new people. It is better to watch over them and help them warm up to the new people.
Start off with introducing and helping them interact before you let them free. Do not let them loose before a precise introduction.
Leaving your pet unattended
Leaving your pup unattended is a big no no in the woods. Being exciting animals, they are easily drawn towards nature. Pups will start roaming around, make new friends, and want to taste everything they see.
This is one of the reasons they end up attracting ticks, getting dirty, and having bad stomachs after a camping trip. But it is important you always have them within your sight. They are your family after all and it becomes your responsibility to take care of them. Do not even think of leaving them alone in RVs or tents at night.
They could die due to carbon monoxide poisoning or even trauma. Dogs are really great animals once they get a hang of the situation and understand how to behave. Be patient with them but never leave them alone.
Dogs make the best companions to camp with because they love outdoor adventures and would always look forward to hiking and burning some carbs. Before you set out for the next outdoor trip, gather the right camping equipment for your pup. Measure your dog’s food but add in some more just in case.
Make sure they are well-trained before they are dragged into the woods. If your dog gets easily bored, you can pack some toys to keep them engaged. Well, hope you are already gearing up for your camping trip with your dog!