If you are someone who loves to be outdoors, camping is the best way to do so. The experience of sleeping under the starlit sky is one of a kind. Even though friends and family can be great company for such trips, you may also consider having your four-legged friend as a sidekick.
Well, we’re referring to dogs in particular. Most dogs love to be all out in the open. They love to chase tiny animals and insects, collect play things, go after strange smells, or just have fun.
But you can’t just grab your dog and hit the road. You’ll need a lot of planning and preparation before you get set out on your journey. You must ensure that you, your partner, and your dog all can have a good time together.
Among other things, the most essential point that you need to keep in mind is to carry a suitable tent. Since you’ll be traveling with your pet, your tent has to meet all the requirements for you and your furry friend.
If you don’t own a tent and are planning to buy one, this article will help you pick the right one. In the list below, we are bringing some of the best tents that can easily accommodate two adults and a dog. You will also find crucial tips that you need to keep in mind while buying a tent for your pup.
If you’re simply looking for all of the best tents for camping with dogs, we have an entire comprehensive buying guide as well.
Best tents for two adults and a dog
Coleman Dome Tent with Screen Room
- Weatherproof: Welded corners and inverted seams keep water from getting in; Included rainfly offers extra weather protection
- Conventional pitch: Sets up in 15 minutes
- Bug-free lounging: 10 x 5 feet full-floor screen room
- Roomy interior: 10 x 9 feet with 5 feet 8 inch center height; Fits 2 queen-size air beds
Made of polyester taffeta 75D, this tent proves to be one of the best options for you and your dog. It is weatherproof with welded corners that prevents rainwater from entering the tent. There is a rainfly too which gives extra protection from foul weather.
Setting up the tent takes no more than 15 minutes. It is also pretty spacious with a 10 x 5 feet full-floor screen room. You can experience bug-free lounging and additional ventilation in another screened-in room that also gives you an extra sleeping area on cozy nights.
The Coleman Dome tent comes with window awnings that can be extended, allowing you to keep the windows open for proper airflow without allowing rainwater to drip inside.
You can easily store small essential items in the mesh pockets that are attached to the side of the walls of this tent. It is designed to be a sturdy product with a wind-responsive frame. This tent can easily fit two queen size air beds. Storing and carrying this tent is also not an issue as you get a carry bag with it.
|Item Weight||4 kgs|
|Dimensions||10 x 9 feet with 5 feet 8-inch center height|
- Durable and weather-resistant
- It comes with attached pockets
- It is strong
- It is durable
- It is big in size, which might make carrying it slightly difficult.
Wenzel Klondike 8 Person Water Resistant Tent with Convertible Screen Room
- Convertible screen room with inverted "T" style door and inside flap zippered windows
- Removable seam-sealed fly provides versatility
- Mesh roof vents, 2 zippered side windows with inside flaps
- Shock corded fiberglass roof frame with steel uprights and corner elbows combined with pin & ring for easy set up
The Wenzel Klondike Tent is a water-resistant tent that saves you and your partners from poor weather conditions. A polyurethane water-resistant coating is used to make this tent which prevents the entry of rainwater.
Designed with excellent craftsmanship, this tent is double-stitched and provides a comfortable stay. You get a complete roof and two mesh windows that keep insects away while allowing air to enter the tent.
This tent is durable enough as it is made of a shock-proof roof frame along with steel supports. Storing your additional accessories is no more a problem with the accessory pockets that are attached to the tent.
The interior is spacious for two adults and a dog. You can easily have a queen size air mattress and lots of breathable space around it. The vent that is at the back of the tent allows hi-low air circulation and ensures that your tent is cool.
|Recommended for||Camping & hiking|
- It provides stability
- It has extra pockets
- It is water-resistant
- It is durable
- It is spacious
- Assembling the tent can be time-consuming
Coleman Elite WeatherMaster 6 Screened Tent
- 6-person camping tent with built-in illumination for family or group trips
- LED system offers three brightness settings for overhead interior light
- Attached 9 x 6 ft. screen room offers bug-free area for relaxation
- Spacious interior has room for 2 queen airbeds
With the Coleman Elite tent, you can get a comfortable, bug-free lounging experience along with some additional ventilation in a different screened-in room. This room also provides extra sleeping space for summer nights. This tent has built-in LED lights that provide overhead lighting so that you can have some bedtime reading.
There is an illuminated wall switch as well so that you can choose between high, low, and night light modes. The rainfly which comes with the tent gives protection from bad weather. You can open the fly on a clear night and stargaze, if you’d like to.
This spacious tent has enough room to fit two queen-size airbeds. You can sleep comfortably with your legs stretched out with its 6-foot 8-inch center height. The wind-responsive frame with redesigned poles makes this tent stand strong and sturdy. It also includes a zipper cuff which is built of weather-resistant fabric and adds safety.
|Item weight||35.8 pounds|
|Item size||6L x 9W ft. (screened area)|
- The tent is very high in comfort
- Has lots of space and extra room
- It has a sturdy build
- Comes with LED lighting and an illuminated switch
- Due to the size, it might not be easy to carry around
- It is expensive
Sierra Designs Convert 2
- Material: [floor] 68D 210T ripstop (polyester), [body] 20D Riptstop (polyester), [fly] 20D ripstop (nylon)
- Capacity: 3-person
- Season: 4-season
- Wall Type: double-wall
The Sierra Designs Convert is overall an excellent product for your camping journey with your dog. It is a tent that can withstand your camping adventures in any season, which is a big plus. This tent is affordable and compact enough so you can carry it around easily.
This model is one of the most purchased tents available in the market. The fabric is breathable and allows proper airflow while keeping the dust out of the tent.
You also get a removable vestibule to provide that additional space for your pet and make the place cozy on winter nights. It is made of nylon fabric which is super lightweight and quite manageable.
This tent is an absolute fit for those who own a dog. The additional vestibule option that you get with this tent is also a great way to keep bugs and mosquitoes away.
- It is sturdy
- It is compact and portable
- It allows proper airflow
- It is affordable
- It comes with a vestibule
- Setting up this tent isn’t very easy and has more parts than necessary
Featherstone Lightweight Outdoor Backpacking Tent
- 2-PERSON: This backpacking tent is spacious enough to accommodate up to two people, perfect for couples. Conveniently built with two doors and two vestibules...
- WEATHER PROTECTED: Seam Taped Construction makes an impenetrable barrier against Rain and prevents leakage. Bathtub Floor Design elevates the bottom of the tent...
- EASY TO SET UP & FREESTANDING: Single Aluminum pole structure makes the tent easy to set up and pack into one’s backpack. Freestanding allows the tent to be...
- 3 SEASON: This tent is suitable for 3 Seasons and preferred use for Hiking, Expeditions, Fishing, Kayaking, Car Camping, Backpacking, or Bikepacking.
This durable, lightweight outdoor tent protects against sun and rain. It takes no time to assemble and provides a lot of space for you and your pet dog.
Moreover, the fabric is of micro-mesh material which allows free flow of fresh air around the tent. The best thing about this tent is the fact that it is extremely lightweight, which makes it easy to carry.
Dog owners can blindly go for this tent as it comes with a specialized floor design that increases the height of the bottom of the tent from the ground. Thus, you and your furry friend can stay away from mud.
The size of the tent is just perfect for two people and a dog. You also get an extra vestibule, which provides you space to keep your gears or even your dog.
|Special feature||Lightweight, waterproof, rainfly|
- It is suitable for 3 seasons.
- It can be easily disassembled and can fit into your backpack.
- It prevents leakage.
- None real downsides to this tent, as long as you only have two adults and a dog. Anymore than that and you may want to look elsewhere.
Factors to consider wen choosing a tent for you and your dog
The claws of a dog are sharp enough to tear the sides and floor of a weak tent. So, be sure that you purchase a model that is made from thick fabric. However, this will still not completely eliminate the chance of your pet tearing off the fabric, but the longevity will reduce. Most large-sized tents come with long-lasting fabrics.
Look for a tent with a vestibule
Having separate screened-in rooms, which are also known as vestibules, can be very helpful to manage your dog. Such rooms are attached to the tent. If the weather is favorable, you can easily allow your dog to sleep in the extra room, especially if you have a relatively small space inside the main compartment.
You can keep your dog inside this room even while you are cooking, which demands your full attention. This will make sure that your pet is safe and, at the same time, that it is not distracting you during your cooking session.
Going for a slightly bigger size than you generally would is the right thing to do. Hence, if the ideal size of your tent accommodates 2-3 people, you might instead want to go for a 3-4 person tent. Even though a vestibule will give you some extra space for your dog, it’s still a safe idea to choose a slightly bigger tent in case of poor weather.
Getting inside and coming out of a tent can be a problem if you have a small tent. You will have to go over your companion most of the time, whether a pet or a human. A two-door tent is a solution to this problem.
Instead of rolling over your partner, you can just get out or go inside the tent from another door. And this will give you a similar advantage when it comes to managing your dog.
What is the right size of the tent for two people and a dog?
You should go for a tent that can accommodate 2-3 people. There are some tents that come with additional space, which is great for camping with a dog.
Are dogs fine in tents?
Dogs can adapt to new environments quickly, making it fine for dogs to sleep in tents. As you may have already guessed, not all dogs are the same. Some dogs are certainly more skittish, and you may need to tire out your dog during the day to help them fall asleep faster at nighttime.
What tents are good for dogs?
You will find a range of tents that are best for camping for two adults and a dog in this article. Go through the details carefully before picking your choice.
Are you already thinking of your next camping trip along with your friend and your doggo? We can imagine the excitement! Hope this article makes your decision-making journey more effortless and helps you buy the best tent. All of the tents mentioned above have been used and tested and are highly recommended by a number of fellow travelers.